Wednesday, March 13, 2013

In the midst of joy....sadness





Joy and I had our final Skype call with Kevin and Julia this morning.  They are on their way home in a few hours!  After we were done, I got up to make us some breakfast and found Monique in the kitchen looking terrible.  She couldn't stand up and could barely sit.  I brought her a blanket and covered her up so she was warm.  Joy suggested the portable heater, so we brought that in and hooked it up.  Once she heard the heater go on, she headed into the bathroom, where we usually keep it.  So, I made a bed for her there and then we waited.  The vet was unavailable until 3 p.m.  We sang.  We prayed.  I thanked her for bringing me back to life after I lost my beloved Teddy 13 years ago.  I was soooo distraught after he died.  Then, one day as I was working on my sofa, a beautiful black cat appeared on the arm of it and stayed there all day while I worked.  Eventually I named her Monique and brought her in the house.  She never left my side.  Whenever I was sick she would lay with me until I was better.  All day.  All night.  When we brought Mouse home she was panic-stricken the first time I was sick.  No idea what to do.  Monique taught her.  Now I have a well-trained nurse.  Trained by the best.  Monique.  She was diagnosed with cancer in August and she fought hard.  We saw the vet in January and she said there is no way she should have lived this long with this type of cancer.  We tried some new meds, but they didn't do much.  My girl was tough.....with the most sweet and gentle of personalities.  No one gives a nibble nudge like a Niques, I used to say.  And no one did.  When I would cry, she'd come wash my face,  She hated it when we were sad.  I am trying to keep it together.  I know she'd hate me crying.  Please pray for us....especially Joy, who's world is about to change big time with the arrival of her big sister tomorrow.....and now the loss of yet another dear friend.  Seems waaaay too much for one small girl.  I can tell you, it is very hard for her mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

 
Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker