Every year, about the time the squirrels start hauling nuts into the yard and burying them in my pots, I start thinking about Gingerbread men. For several years my willing accomplice (Joy) and I would sift thru zillions of recipes online (all claiming to be the best ever), chose a few and start trying 'em out. We have tried them all, I think. Friends have sent me theirs, too. And yet......we haven't found the right one. It makes me nuts. Last year we added Pepparkakor cookies to our list. They were delicious.....and yet not exactly what I wanted. I want thin.....I want crispy....I want loads of flavor.....I don't want a flour taste! This year I decided to try just using the gingersnap recipe and rolling in between parchment paper. The taste is perfect. The texture....perfect. The crispiness.....perfect. So, what's the problem? They are nearly impossible to roll out without them sticking to the paper. And yes, I refrigerated. I tried several different lengths of time, too. They also spread too much. They made beautiful fall leaves, but my turkeys looked like blobs. But, it's the sticking to the paper that made me throw in the towel. Very frustrating........so.......I quit..........you win, little Gingerbread man.......for now......I will catch him yet!
13 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment