This fall when Joy went to the dentist, I mentioned to him that I suspected Joy was grinding her teeth. He said she was and that they were ground down to about half of where they should be. Not much we can do about it and she would probably grow out of it. Okay. Good. Well, 2 months later she was complaining that her mouth hurt. I took her to another dentist (we weren't too happy with dentist #1) and he confirmed what I suspected. She had ground down her front teeth almost to the nerve. Ouch! He also found more cavities. Off to find a pediatric dentist. That proved to be a difficult task. They all want to child to go in alone. No Moms allowed. I think not. The one dentist even said a sibling could go with her, but not me. Again. Not happening. I finally found one who would consider letting me be there. He will let me be in the room, but not visible to Joy. We will see how this goes. So, today she is going to have 2 cavities filled-she doesn't have new cavities. She has ground out her new fillings! She is having 2 teeth built up-she doesn't have room for her molars to grow in! And she is having crowns put on her 4 front teeth-to protect the nerve. Sigh.......a lot of work for a little girl, yes? The good news is she doesn't grind her teeth when she's sleeping, so I have been able to stop her from doing it. She does it when she rubs her soft blankie against her face. I've watched her doing it for 3 years! It never occurred to me she was grinding her teeth. It looks like she's kissing her blanket. I guess not. So.....if you have a moment, say a little prayer for Joy today. This could be very unpleasant! Why can't dentist let the Moms be in the room? Joy does much better holding my hand! I know her pretty well ya know!
UPDATE: No crowns today. She did really well and I was in the room with her. The dentist found 2 more cavities and she will have those filled on Wednesday. Crowns next Monday. You can see from tonight's photo how far she has ground her teeth down. The big space between her top and bottom teeth give it away. Ouch!
13 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment